Apostle Ethical Balanced Fund
Ethical Investing refers to investments made into companies, organizations and Funds with the intention of generating social and environmental benefits alongside good financial returns
This involves a two-stage process:
a) Select companies that are deemed to generate a positive impact
b) Ensure none of these companies have any involvement with negative impact
Our vision leverages world-class dedicated mangers with specific expertise in their niche for ethical investing. As the investible universe for truly ethical investing is relatively embryonic, it will be important to construct a portfolio of both experienced practitioners (core managers) as well as seed and start up opportunities (satellite). This will increase the ecosystem in this space to create a good bench of managers. In addition, it will create additional diversification and reduce fees.
The product aims to provide a net return to investors of 2.5% above inflation (CPI). The investments are liquid in nature and balanced between capital growth and defensive investments to provide a diversified ethical portfolio.
Within each asset class, our best-of-breed Fund managers will utilise fundamental, bottom-up research to find investments that are capable of real long-term wealth generation. Alongside financial returns, the Fund’s managers will also make quality investments that align with our ethical investing standards.
- Ethical – Fully screened investments based on a zerotolerance exclusionary policy and a positive impact tilt.
- Active – The Fund is actively management at the asset
allocation and underlying strategy level.
- Diversified – Investors gain access to a diversified portfolio
across growth, defensive and alternative asset classes.
- Specialists – Apostle exclusively seeks managers that
specialize in their niche of ethical investing. All managers
are PRI certified and have their own internal impact
- Liquidity & Transparency – The portfolio holds only liquid
investments. It is priced daily with daily liquidity. All
holdings are disclosed to investors.
- Expertise – Apostle’s governance structure includes our Ethical Advisory Board with significant ESG experience and access to Adelaide University’s PHD program for external research.
- Reporting – Apostle collects ESG reporting from underlying
managers and supplies detailed aggregated reporting on the
Investing for positive impact
The Apostle Ethical Balanced Fund holds investments that are
making a measurable impact towards the United Nations Sustainable
Development Goals (SDGs), specifically targeting 14 impact areas:
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Reduce inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate Action
- Life on land
Zero-tolerance Negative Screening
- Human rights violations
- Unethical Corporate Governance (treatment of employees,
customers, stakeholders and the environment)
- Fossil fuels such as thermal coal, petroleum, uranium and
- Weapons and defence
- Alcohol and tobacco (manufacture)
- Pornography (production)
- Animal cruelty and testing (unless required for human
- Deforestation (native or old growth logging for non-forest
- Nuclear power (production of new facilities)